- Download SMTP4DEV from it's codeplex project site, I prefer standalone exe but you can download installer as well.
- If you like to use some custom local domain, click on options and set up some local domain like local.machinename.com. Create host entry pointing to 127.0.0.1
- By completing these many steps you can now send emails through SMTP4DEV by any url ending in @local.machinename.com
- Go to sharepoint central administration > System settings > setup outgoing email server.
- set local.machinename.com as server, and provide any email ending in @local.machinename.com
- Save your settings
After these minimum set of configuration you will be able to start sending emails. Beauty of SMTP4DEV is:
- It will show you notification that new email is sent
- It will show you all emails sent from the smtp in UI without actually sending it
- You can inspect email
- You can view email (in email client that you set default)
So, in conclusion, it is a best choice KISS kind of solution for your sharepoint 2010 development farm's outgoing SMTP server.